“The Show Begins on the Sidewalk” was the vision of State Theatre’s architect S. Charles Lee when it opened on Christmas Day, 1934. For the past eight decades, The State has served as a community hub for thought-provoking entertainment, education and enlightenment.
Now a locally owned nonprofit, the State Theatre:
- Offers an intimate and affordable venue for concerts performances and fundraising events
- Screens more than 100 independent, contemporary, classic and cult films , a 48 Hour Film Festival and
- sponsors a film making camp for community youth
- Partners with The Stanislaus County Office of Education and Lawrence Livermore Lab for science, math and arts-based programs, all at no charge to students
- Hosts the MAMA music awards, The ILL Poetry Slams, Strut Studio of Dance and The Modesto Film Society
Our next eight decades begin with your membership. Please partner with us to help sustain and expand these programs and to preserve this community’s remarkable historic landmark.